I rarely bail on books because I'm a crazy completionist and honestly I have no other excuse. This weekend I was reading It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover and I honestly couldn't take it anymore. 47% in and I returned the ebook to the library and marked it as DNF (did not finish) on Goodreads and Litsy. So if you're looking for an excuse to not finish that book you're reading, here's a few options:
- It makes you uncomfortable, and not in a good way. If the book is racist, sexist, ableist, or triggering in some way that makes you uncomfortable then put it down and walk way. You don't owe a book anything that will disrupt your mental health.
- It's boooooring. You gave it 50 pages. Then 100. And you still don't see what everyone is raving about. If the plot doesn't catch you then throw it aside.
- Not the right time. I'm a big believer that certain books should be read at certain times. If you're not feeling the book right now feel free to jump ship and come back to it later.
- You have other things to read. If you're like me I read 5-6 books at a time. Sometimes it just becomes too much. Books aren't going anywhere, so don't feel bad putting it back on the shelf.
- It just sucks. Not all books are created equally, and some books just flat out suck. Return it to the library, sell it at a used bookstore, just get rid of it.
Now go forth and bail without guilt!